Thursday 23 June 2011

Tiny laptop

When is the soonest you can start?, they asked me last week on monday. I said wednesday woud be fine, and they told me to come in then. You would have thought that they might have been busy and had a ton of work lined up for me to given the urgency in wanting me to be here as soon as possible.

Over a week later i am still sat at a desk, which is not allocated to me. I have the use of a pc, but its not mine so i cant install any of the software i will need and hence i have done no work. Come on fellas, you are supposed to be better than this.

Yesterday they ordered me a laptop which will be my own pc. I would prefer a powerful desktop with 2 monitors like everyone else has here. Thanks, but its tiny and got a 12 inch screen and given that i have to work simulataneously on SCCM console, and have remote desktops open, and VI client and mail and messenger, i dont think its a wise choice. As far as i can tell, only desktops have big monitors and there dont appear to be spares kicking aroound for laptop users on any of the desks.

People are still nice and am trying to be positive, but when you are a sat at someone elses desk for over a week doing nothing and have the prospect of working off a tiny laptop for 6 months, it hardly fills you with joy.

Still, must not grumble too much, could be worse. They didnt order me a netbook or an iPad and they didnt tell me to download the citrix receiver and ask me to work off a VDI on my tiny xperia phone. Always look on the bright side of life.

Today i have mostly been listening to....to be added tonight.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Just ask for a desktop and some monitors!! I asked for an iPad...and I write you from an iPad as we speak! Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Xoxo