Thursday 17 July 2008

just over a week to go

Maybe its because i am going soon or maybe its because my teamleader hates his new boss, but my teamleader has been a bit of an arse this week. for the 3rd time in 4 days this week he has decided to work from home. The teamleader has been concerned recently that his new boss was not putting as much importance to dealing with him recently, and i think he feels the department and more importantly he himself has been overlooked and ignored.

I know he has not been very impressed with the restructuring of teams and the merging of our team with one in another office. As if to press the point home that he doesn’t think the integration is working and we are short-staffed, i think my boss has decided to demonstrate what its like with an under resourced department, ie: me in the office on my own for most of the week. its been shit today.

All he has been doing is forwarding random emails to me all day saying “can you talk to XXXXXX and deal with this issue”. Dude, it wouldn’t kill you to do a little something yourself there fella. A lot of it has been really obscure shit regarding things i don’t know the history about. I just end up trying to work backwards and emailing various people trying to get information about stuff. Whats the password, whats the server name, where is the server....blah blah blah. Its a little annoying to say the least. It would be a lot more annoying if i had much more than a week left in this place.

You see my teamleaders problem is this........he has got a new boss to report to. He had his whole career planned out and he had a boss before that knew how he worked and took care of him. Now he has to start all over again from nothing with a new boss, who has a reputation for, not to put too fine a point on it, being utterly useless. I think my teamleader can see his comfortable career and future not turn out quite in the way he envisaged. I think that after 10 years here he didn’t expect to be in this position and so he has decided to pretty much not give too much of a shit and instead i think he will exacerbate problems in the hope they give him a new manager or team to report to. His management type role that he once had has disappeared but he still likes delegating and pretending to be the manager and so thats what he has decided to do all day.

He is scared to leave as his resume will look lame because he has worked in the same place for 10 years and people will think he is institutionalised and set in his ways and they will wonder if he can work with new people. He hasn’t done a single exam in all his time here and from what i can tell, just cherry picks the stuff he wants to do and delegates the shit to me and to a lesser extent, the other guy.


He is essentially a prisoner here at the bank and a prisoner to his boss. I remember when i had an arsehole for a boss, idiotboss, and its fucking terrible situation to be in. You just have to hope they leave or get fired or you have to leave yourself. Hopefully with all that i have done in the last year and what i am doing now, i will never find myself in that position ever again and if i do, i can tell them to stick their job up their ass and i will take all my experience and skills and passion and my 21 microsoft certifications, my citrix and vmware certifications, and get something new.

today i have mostly been listening to prince - gett off.

take care flower. see you in a few weeks.

No comments: