Tuesday 4 May 2010

confidence

the weekend was pretty much a wash out. found a window of a couple of hours in the afternoon on saturday to cycle to the gym. saw some lovely machines going round regents park again. bianchi, pinarellos and cervelo's. people clearly loving the italian bikes.
a friend of mine is thinking of going to france and cycling up mont ventoux, which is one of the most famous and brutal climbs a cyclist can do. he just did the london marathon and he said it was very hard. i reckon ventoux will be worse. 20km riding up a very steep climb. your legs will be burning after 5 mins.

also i play the lottery sometimes, only when the jackpot gets ridiculously big. last friday it was a £38m ($60m) jackpot. i play it online so i don't have to worry about checking numbers or losing my ticket. anyways on sunday morning when i checked my email it had a mail saying i should check my account as i had won a prize. oooooo!, i already have a house picked out that i want get. its quite modest but costs £3.6m. was it time to order my range rover and nissan gt-r and book the tickets for tokyo?. turns out not. i won £6.20p. this week its gone up to £67m ($100m). keeping my powder dry for this one i figure. i might buy 2 tickets to cover all bases, in case the first ticket doesn't have the winning numbers on it.

i got a call back about that interview i had nearly 2 weeks ago and which i wasn't really feeling. the job was co-ordinating and managing server moves from verious data centers as they moved stuff around following mergers the bank has made. they tried to make out it was a techie role but it just wasn't and i had done something similar at my last bank, which almost drove me crazy.

anyways, the agent calls me back and said that they told the bank the reservations i had about the role. he said the manager that interviewed me really liked me and that i was one of the better candidates they had seen (he actually said i was the best candidate they saw but if i write that, it makes me sound big headed and full of myself, oh.... i did just write it) and he said he would try and hire me in a different role and that they were just creating a new spec.

anyways, that was a bit of a surprise. will have to see what they might be planning and what the new role is. its a nice predicament to be in. had been waivering in my plan to leave even if i didn't get anything lined up to move on to. its something like this that gives one confidence that we are not entirely incompetent at what we do and that someone might have a need for my limited knowledge and that we should take the leap into the unknown. we just sometimes need a little encouragement to give us a little more confidence to do the right thing.

in any given situation in life, most people will know what the right thing to do is. the only issue is if they do it or not.

anyways, next week is a big week. i will have to talk to my manager when he gets back from his holiday and let them know i will be walking, even if this new role at this bank comes through, or not.

take care

today i have mostly been listening to the avett brothers - i and love and you. lovely stuff.



No comments: