Saturday 24 September 2011

shit people

i worked both days last weekend and i had to work till 11pm on last night, and i did another 11 hour shift today. i also am going to have to work tomorrow (sunday).
the senior project manager gave me 40 servers to check and finish off on wednesday, that he wanted done before the end of the week so they would be ready on monday morning. it was already going to be a tough task. he then told me i had to build some backup servers for a new datacenter on thursday and spend the whole day making that my priority instead. i did so and delivered the backup servers on the same day. he then told me i still had to get the 40 servers finished, despite making me losing a day in doing other stuff for him.

i was also supposed to be working on my own project (ie. not putting out fires the chancers have started), and we had a big migration on friday night and today. i started work at lunch time yesterday and although we thought it would take till 2 am, we were done by 11pm. i then had to be at work for 8:30am this morning to check and finish off the move and that took till around 5pm. i then stayed back to do more work on trying to get those 40 servers done, (by a miracle i only have 3 servers left to do, after a herculean effort on friday afternoon), and then i went home because i had a splitting headache and was just generally annoyed and pissed off

on friday afternoon i had a conversation with the senior PM where told me that my orginal project was not my priority any more and i had to finish the servers which were already very late. i was just stunned into silence that he was jerking me around like this and just walked back to my desk shaking my head in a 'yeah...ok....whatever.....what a shambles' kind of way.

feeling a bit embaressed about being so disorganised and running such a shambolic project he came over a few minutes later to my desk in a bid to appease and sympathise with me. i mentioned a few posts ago that i was worried that one day my internal monolgue that is running in my head which says stuff i shouldnt really say out loud, was in danger of coming out one day. well it kind of happened when he came over to my desk. at the end of his motivational speech he said " well there are lots of problems in the project and ....", at which point i had listened to enough bullshit and butted in and said "the problem is there are too many shit people on this project!". there was a bit of a silence and he stopped what he was saying, shrugged and walked back to his desk. i think he could see the steam coming out of my ears and thought best not to push his luck.

because we finished at 11pm last night and not as 2am as expected, i went with 3 of the other guys to a bar for a drink, after a long evening of work. i dont usually talk about work with them in too much depth, and it was the first time i had spoken to any of them outside of work. turns out the senior PM is regarded by all of them as a bit of a joke and utterly useless. i knew he was, but i had kept it to myself. they already knew what i thought about the chancers, but it was interesting to hear their scathing critiques of the senior PM. you feel vindicated when people you respect have a similar view. you know its just not personal, or you dont like the way he talks. he is genuinely and by common consensus utterly incompetent.

anyway, these last 3 servers out of the 40 are ones i have problems with. one is a cluster, and i just dont know how they install clusters and to what standard and rules they use, and one of them is just busted. come monday morning i know i am going to get shit. after getting the backup servers delivered in 1 day last week and working late into the night and most of saturday on my own project which went smoothly, i guarantee they are going to give me shit for only doing 37 or 38 out of 40 servers, that the chancers should have done weeks ago, but didn't. fuckers!.

i just need to keep thinking of the money. i think i will write it on the palm of my hand "its all about the benjamins" to remind me when i am getting shit from them on monday. it might help my internal monolgue to stay internal as well. am feeling very much like ed norton at the beginning of fightclub, lack of sleep and nothing but work and my internal monolgue starting to take over.



today i have mostly been listening to lonely island - i'm on a boat.

No comments: